Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog!

So, Hot Dog Night is apparently a big deal in Luverne, MN. We got there around 5:30 and people were already lining up for the free dogs. We picked a spot and got in line. All of the businesses on Main Street were giving away hot dogs in front of their stores. Some were just basic, with ketchup and mustard and some had all the fixin's.

Ashlyn got to enjoy a pre-race "train" ride. It's a contraption we've seen many times since living here. There's a riding lawn mower with all of these little "cars" attached behind it. To me, they look like 55 gallon drums turned on their sides and painted to look like little airplanes with a place cut out for a child to sit. They charge $1.50 per ride and can hold 20 kids. Britney and I have decided that it's a very lucrative way to make money here!

Anyway, Ashlyn rode and Carter got scared so he got out before the ride began. BOYS!

After our hot dogs and train ride, we walked around a little and then headed to the bleachers to get a good spot for the race. Folks, this is serious business. People have strategies about how to get their dogs to race. There were over 40 wiener dogs in the races. Kielbasa, last year's winner, didn't do so well. He was out after his first heat.

This year's winner was Kali. I think she's a 2 year old whose owners bribed her with a t-bone at the end of the race.

All in all, it was a pretty fun night. And amazing to me how grown, mature adults will sit on the side of a road and yell for their favorite wiener dog to run, run, run!

You can click here for pictures

Or you can click here for the complete story from the SPORTS section of the paper!

4 comments:

Judy & Marvin said...

Hot dog!! It looks like fun. Isn't it funny how sometimes the little things in life bring the biggest smile to your face?!! Glad you had fun. Can't wait to hear about the latest parade. (Loved the photos.)
Thanks.
Love to all,
Nana

Lisa said...

Okay, I can't quit chuckling @ Britney calling your little paper your "crack"! That totally sounds like something Scott would say to me! So I'll be the first one to ask what everyone else is probably wondering...so you had to make a little fun @ these people yelling at their wiener dogs to run, run, run! HA! Love, Lisa I.

April said...

Lara - This has totally made my night! I know you had fun - esp. the kids. My parents actually have a new dachshund dog - Remi. He is only 6 months old. I know they will think this is a hoot too. Thanks for sharing and making me laugh!
Love
April

Jill said...

How much would I love to take Molly out to that race and see those weiner dogs REALLY run!!!! Looks like you guys had fun! Keep posting pictures! Love you guys!