Monday, September 17, 2007

A Long Weekend Makes for a Hard Monday

Today started Ashlyn's second full week of school. She cried all morning. We were busy all weekend, but the kids went to bed pretty close to on time except for Friday night when we went to the football game (more on that in another post). Saturday was King Turkey Day, which deserves a post all its own. But Ashlyn lost her new purse and new Polly Pocket doll while we were in Worthington for the race and parade. We looked all over for it, but we couldn't find it. Of course, this was AFTER she insisted on taking it and just knew she wouldn't lose it. Sunday was church and then out to the farm for Robin's husband's birthday dinner.

Today was the hardest day for me to leave Ashlyn. I don't know what to do for her when she gets like that. I spent extra time with her this morning and even played a quick game of Memory with her - just she and mom. But in the end, I felt like it still wasn't enough. I plan on taking a walk with Carter in a little while and we'll go peek in the window of her classroom, just to make sure :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lara,
I can only imagine how hard it is to send her off that way. Crying and clinging on for you (atleast that's how I'm picturing it). But, remember in the Dreamgiver, about placing something on the altar and trusting God, in that same way, trust God with Ashlyn.
She knows you love her. You have been a rockin' mom. I can tell by the stories, picts, and the concerns you share.
It will get easier day by day. A gentle and firm nudge from you to get her going in the right direction, and then let go. 'Kay?
I know what do I know...I've only had dogs. = )
But, I've had to let others in my life step out into things they were scared of. And I couldn't do a thing to help but let them know I love them, and that they could do it.

Lara...you are a good mom!!!! = )

love you!
Elke

Anonymous said...

By the way, praying for you and this situation!!

Lori said...

It's hard watching them grow up isn't it? Just remember you've given her everything she needs, love and security. Trust God for the rest. You are a great mom and just like you had special times with her before Carter was born, now you get special time with Carter while she in school. Cherish each moment, even the tears, they will be grown before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Well, having been able to be both a stay at home mom and a working mom, I can assure you that either way you slice it there is going to be that "mother's guilt". As much as I think guilt is a useless emotion, it seems like mom's have a double helping of it and we can't seem to get rid of it...or maybe it's just me?